Login Register

Login to your account

Use Facebook account
or

Create an account * * Required field

Use Facebook account
or
The name you entered is not valid.
Please enter a valid username. No spaces, at least 2 characters and must not contain the following characters: < > \ " ' % ; ( ) &
Password invalid.
The passwords you entered do not match. Please enter your desired password in the password field and confirm your entry by entering it in the confirm password field.
Invalid email address
The email addresses you entered do not match. Please enter your email address in the email address field and confirm your entry by entering it in the confirm email field.

• 1 - PLEASE REGISTER USING YOUR FULL NAME (FIRST & LAST) OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED!

2 - To avoid spam we moderate every new member's first post/comment. After your first post/comment is approved (usually within minutes), you will be able to post and comment freely without any further delay and moderation by our staff.
    29 Messages ▪ Page 1 of 2
    • Page:
  • Rafal Wlazlo
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 304
    • Premium Member
    • "Laws of the Game are hard; they're harder if you're stupid."

emo PSRA Puts Out "MLS Scab Referee Details"

PSRA:
"This document was compiled by PSRA in an attempt to educate the public about the experience level of the scab referees being employed by PRO to referee MLS matches during its lockout of our members."

MLS SCAB REFEREE DETAILS

File Attachment:

File Name: MLS_Scab_Referee_Details_v3.pdf
File Size: 1,182 KB

Thoughts?
Fmr. National Referee
State Assessor
Private Message 2014-09-01 23:19:46
  • Alex Rush-Fear
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 27
    • Premium Member

PSRA Puts Out "MLS Scab Referee Details"

My first thought is why have they even bothered doing this? Clearly haven't put any effort into it. I could have probably produced a better report in less than an hour!
Anderson’s experience consists of a single CONCACAF Champions League match
in fall 2013 and four matches in 2012 involving national teams from the Caribbean.
So what, he has no experience refereeing whatsoever apart from that?! :silly:

As an aside, I had rather been hoping that Peter Walton might have fancied doing a couple of games during this lockout!
  • Michael Janosko
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 11
    • Premium Member

This rubs me the wrong way....smells "unprofessional" to me. Why make this an issue...trying to damage the reputations, credentials, etc. of those trying their best to provide quality work for The Game & the players? Thinking less of this "organization" as time goes by.....
Who said Thankyou
  • The following user(s) said Thank You: Spencer Hantula
    Total number of Thank You: 1 Close
  • Mike Popowski
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 5
    • Premium Member

I find this unprofessional from the PSRA. Let's say these referees come out and referee their best and actually perform well. Soccer is soccer at the end of the day. I mean sure they don't all have the necessary experience, but they have to start some where. Maybe their performances in these games are the little boost that they need to actually get into the professional scene.
| Grade 7 USSF Referee - Utica, NY - www.mvsra.org - Part of the Mohawk Valley Soccer Referee Association |
  • Terry Steimle
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 2

Seems unprofessional and vindictive to me
  • Gwen Keck
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 1

I have referee friends that have been locked out, and I also know a number of the Replacement Referees. After the posting today "PSRA Puts Out "MLS Scab Referee Details." it made we want to post. The experience details quoted are less than fully accurate. It implies they have zero officiating experience. These are honorable referees. The referees being locked out are also honorable referees.

The quote that is in the document is below. It is shameful. Whoever posted that quote has lost all respect from me. I do hope they have the courage to place their name on it.

"MLS SCAB REFEREE DETAILS
The scab sells his birthright, country, his wife, his children and his fellowmen for an
unfulfilled promise from his employer. Esau was a traitor to himself; Judas was a traitor to his
God; Benedict Arnold was a traitor to his country. A scab is a traitor to his God, his country,
his family and his class.
Jack London (1876-1916)
Definition of SCAB: Someone who works during a lockout.
ANY OFFICIAL WHO WORKS DURING THE LOCKOUT IS A SCAB"
  • Jeremy Jurgens
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 26
    • Premium Member

If the scabs succeed then that makes bargaining agreements even more slanted against the referees and means less money and benefits for them. It also means less money and benefits for the scabs too. So no, the PSRA does not want the scabs to do well.

That being said, openly calling them "scabs" in an official release probably doesn't help to sway public opinion in your favor ... even if they are scabs.
  • Jeremy Jurgens
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 26
    • Premium Member

Gwen Keck wrote:
The scab sells his birthright, country, his wife, his children and his fellowmen for an
unfulfilled promise from his employer. Esau was a traitor to himself; Judas was a traitor to his
God; Benedict Arnold was a traitor to his country. A scab is a traitor to his God, his country,
Jack London (1876-1916)

Sounds pretty accurate to me. I'm not saying your friends aren't honorable, but they seem to care more about their own careers than standing with their brothers.
  • Richard R. Bruce
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 1
    • Gr 8 USSF, Gr 3 FHSAA, Play Div III US Coast Guard Acad. Youth coach 8 yrs

Honorable members of PSRA should publically disavow this crude, unprofessional, attempt to defame good people. PSRA is quoting Jack London, so what referee on their "hit list" sold his birthright, country, wife, and their children in order to referee a soccer game? If I was one of the referees on their list, a defamation lawsuit would already be filed.
  • Mark Quinton
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 130
    • Premium Member

I did chat with a couple PSRA members, and their view is simply that this is a betrayal by the "scabs." A number of them (scabs) IMHO really weren't ready to be doing MLS games yet, and with the MLS you only get a handful of chances to show that you belong. This action is simply the PSRA turning up the heat on the situation, which is what PRO did with the lockout. PRO's goal appears to be simply break the Union, and not a matter of reducing cost.
#1 Armchair Referee

After reading this document, I am not sure what the "P" in para stands for. How does putting defamatory and incomplete information out about fellow referees help thei cause? This can only hurt the very group of people they claim to represent (directly or indirectly). If they publically smear out friends we should not publically show our support.
"Sports do not build character, they reveal it." - basketball coach John Wooden
  • Uwe Kerner
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 9
    • Premium Member

Jeremy Jurgens wrote:
Gwen Keck wrote:
Jack London (1876-1916)

Sounds pretty accurate to me. I'm not saying your friends aren't honorable, but they seem to care more about their own careers than standing with their brothers.

Sorry, this is not how it works. We are in competition with each other for the high-level assignments. You walk away because you want more money doesn't mean I would walk away to support you.

... and describing FIFA level refs as inexperienced with MLS is a joke.
  • Mark Quinton
  • More Details
    • Premium Member

A competition to the race to the bottom UWe Kerner?

While I do not approve of this particular post by the PSRA. Not all the replacement refs are FIFA's. Many of the replacements do not belong on this level of match, if things get heated, their lack of experience is going to be impossible to miss.
#1 Armchair Referee
  • Uwe Kerner
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 9
    • Premium Member

Mark Quinton wrote:
A competition to the race to the bottom Uwe Kerner?

Not all the replacement refs are FIFA's. Many of the replacements do not belong on this level of match, if things get heated, their lack of experience is going to be impossible to miss.

Agreed, not everyone is FIFA and I should have phrased this differently but I stand by the fact that one FIFA referee has been called "inexperienced with MLS". This is a very questionable statement.

Now about the race to the bottom....

There are 4 referees from Florida on this list. I know one personally, have worked with one other at a tournament and watched the remaining two officiate games. Three of them are Nationals and one is only a State ref and he will only do lines for MLS.

I can assure you that those 4 referees are an awesome addition to PRO and will not disappoint.

The PRO referees who walked out are gambling on the fact that they cannot be replaced and I am pretty sure that some will be. And Florida will give them a run for their money. Literally.
  • Mark Quinton
  • More Details
    • Premium Member

Uwe Kerner wrote:
Mark Quinton wrote:
A competition to the race to the bottom Uwe Kerner?

Not all the replacement refs are FIFA's. Many of the replacements do not belong on this level of match, if things get heated, their lack of experience is going to be impossible to miss.

Agreed, not everyone is FIFA and I should have phrased this differently but I stand by the fact that one FIFA referee has been called "inexperienced with MLS". This is a very questionable statement.

Now about the race to the bottom....

There are 4 referees from Florida on this list. I know one personally, have worked with one other at a tournament and watched the remaining two officiate games. Three of them are Nationals and one is only a State ref and he will only do lines for MLS.

I can assure you that those 4 referees are an awesome addition to PRO and will not disappoint.

The PRO referees who walked out are gambling on the fact that they cannot be replaced and I am pretty sure that some will be. And Florida will give them a run for their money. Literally.
No offense but de Silva wasn't ready yet and it showed. He was on a good path to becoming an MLS AR, but I suspect he has shot himself in the foot.
#1 Armchair Referee
  • Brendan Mitchell
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 142
    • Premium Member

I was sure I'd already posted on this. Hmmm.

I think this is a highly unprofessional and petty move by the PSRA and will do them more harm then good. It's incomplete information, and ignores the hard work these guys have been doing. To be honest, I do not blame the guys for stepping up, you only get limited chances. Say no to one, and you've probably done your dash and won't get another one because of it.

I'm also of the vein that if I was one of those guys, I'd be on a defamation suit.
  • Steve Eordogh
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 87
    • Premium Member

Wish I could speak my mind out.... All I wish is for this mess to clear up ASAP.

All I can say is that the fight is not only for money, and both sides have made mistakes. I was in Dallas this weekend, and it is amazing how this is affecting the whole referee community (personal reasons, political reasons, etc), not just the pros. To see it in an atmosphere like that was very touching, and all I can hope is for this to settle soon.

Is not good for THE GAME!
  • Alex Fletcher
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 6
    • Premium Member

Brendan Mitchell wrote:
I was sure I'd already posted on this. Hmmm.
You did. In the PRO v PSRA negotiation thread, where I put the original link of this up.

And yes, the way this was done? Poor. The intent behind it I can understand, but I cannot agree with the presentation and language used within the document.
  • Brendan Mitchell
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 142
    • Premium Member

Ah good, I'm not going crazy then.

I would rather work and feed my family than stand in line with jerkoffs who write shit like this and not work!
    29 Messages ▪ Page 1 of 2
    • Page:
Total Messages: 20666 Total Sections: 1 Total Subjects: 1911 Total Categories: 14
Today Open: 3 Today Total Answer: 14 Yesterday Open: 4 Yesterday Total Answer: 7
Total Users: 1948 Latest Member: Eduardo McCarns-Fierstos   More Forum Statistics
You are now being logged in using your Facebook credentials